Council elections - enrol to vote by 10 August


How can you make a difference? You can influence what happens in your local community in two ways – by nominating for a position on council, or by voting for a candidate who represents your views.

Enrolling to vote

Voting in council elections is open to a broader range of people than State and Federal elections. Even if you are not an Australian citizen, and/or not on the State Electoral Roll you can vote in a council election, as long as you are above 18 years of age and have lived in the council area for more than one month. You can also vote in a council election if you own a rateable property in the area, regardless of whether you live in it.

Another important difference is that businesses and body-corporates can vote in council elections.

For more information about eligibility and to obtain a voter registration form for the supplementary roll, visit:

Enrolments close 5.00pm, Friday 10 August 2018.