COVID-19: Council introduces Financial Assistance Package
The Council continues to review, respond and adapt to implications of the COVID-19 pandemic, with the most recent initiatives being the introduction of a Financial Assistance Package aimed at assisting ratepayers, residents, businesses, sporting clubs and other local groups that use Council facilities, who are experiencing hardship due to the Government’s restrictions which have been introduced as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Financial Assistance Package takes into account a number of factors which the Council will continue to review as the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic evolve.
While most financial assistance packages will be delivered by Federal and State Governments, the Council’s package focuses on services and initiatives that the Council has direct control over.
Ratepayers and Property Owners
- waiving of interest and fines for any unpaid 2019-2020 Fourth Quarter Rates instalments;
- the Council will continue to assess applications from ratepayers who are experiencing financial hardship on a case-by-case basis and provide assistance that is best suited to individual circumstances; and
Home and Community Care Services
- residents who access the Council’s Home and Community Care Services and are experiencing difficulty making payment for the services which have been invoiced will have payments deferred for a period of up to three months.
- discretionary rebates equal to the 2019-2020 Fourth Quarter payment for businesses located within The Parade Precinct that are required to pay The Parade Separate Rate. (Note: only properties located within The Parade Precinct pay a Separate Rate);
- refunds of the June Quarter (ie from 23 March to 30 June 2020) Outdoor Dining Permit fee for Outdoor Dining Permit Holders that have paid in full and providing a credit for those who have not paid in full; and
- Outdoor Dining Permit Holders required to make a payment for the installation of bollards associated with their outdoor dining area will have payments deferred for three months to June 2020, with these payment arrangements reviewed at 30 June 2020.
Local sporting clubs, organisations and leaseholders
- financial commitments for sporting clubs and organisations using Council facilities will be waived for a period of three months to 30 June 2020;
- loans and co-contribution agreements will also be deferred for the same period with a review of those arrangements after 30 June 2020; and
- arrangements for tenants of all Council buildings and facilities will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, in line with the Council’s current financial hardship policy and principles set out by the Federal Cabinet.
This current suite of measures is just the beginning of support which will be offered by the Council and addresses the period to 30 June 2020.
Over the coming weeks, the Council will consider a Financial Assistance Package to manage the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic into the next financial year which will be considered as part of the draft 2020–2021 Annual Budget.
Ratepayers (both residential property owners and commercial property owners), who are experiencing financial hardship due to the restrictions associated with the COVID-19 pandemic are encouraged to contact the Council sooner rather than later to discuss their particular situation.
If you are unwell, you must not attend Council buildings or access services in person, rather contact the Council on 08 8366 4555, following us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @cityofnpsp or visiting this website.
For full details about delivery of Council services and programs during COVID-19 conditions, visit: COVID-19 Latest Updates