Skip to Content

Building Rules Assessment

Most structures require an approval from the Council, which usually comprises of a planning assessment and a building rules assessment in order to obtain full development approval.

Development - Safety

Building consent is dealt with by a qualified building officer, who assesses your development application against the technical requirements of the Building Code of Australia or the South Australian Housing Code and other relevant Australian Standards.

A building rules assessment usually covers the following issues:

  • structural adequacy
  • fire safety
  • health and amenity
  • access for people with disabilities
  • energy efficiency
  • swimming pool safety.


Who can do the assessment

Building rules consent can be issued by either the Council or a private certifier. A private certifier is an independent practitioner registered by the state government to carry out building rules consent assessment of applications and issue building rules consent.


How to apply for development approval

You can lodge an application for development approval with the Council, seeking both planning consent and building rules consent. Where possible a concurrent assessment will be undertaken to ensure applications are assessed as efficiently as possible.

If you choose to seek planning consent only in the first instance and then at a later date seek building rules consent (either through the Council or a private certifier), a fee is required to be paid for the consents to be issued separately.

To find out more: visit: Lodge a Development Application webpage




Council’s Urban Planning & Environment Department

T: 08 8366 4530