Skip to Content

Land Division Assessment

If you are planning a land division, we recommend that you seek advice from the Council before applying for approval.

Development - Land surveyorOn this page:


Types of land divisions

Land division includes:

  • the division, sub-division or re-subdivision of land by Torrens Title, Community Title or Strata Title
  • the alteration of the boundaries of land
  • leasing a portion of an allotment for greater than six years including any right of renewal.


Land divisions for houses or units

If the land division proposed relates to houses or units that you intend to build on the land, it is recommended that you lodge a Development Application for that proposed development with the Council prior to, or at least at the same time as, lodging an application for land division.

An application of this nature relating to the use of the land demonstrates that the proposed allotments are of an appropriate size, shape and orientation to cater for their intended use and can be developed in accordance with the Development Plan. For more information, download: Development Plan


Land divisions for buildings that already exist

If the proposed land division relates to buildings that already exist (e.g. maisonettes on one (1) title), then the Council will need to assess how the proposed land division might impact on the existing buildings in relation to the Building Code of Australia (e.g. standards relating to setbacks of buildings from boundaries, fire separation details and fire rating details for building work on boundaries).

In cases where building demolition or building modifications are necessary as a result of the land division (e.g. the construction of a party wall, removal of eaves or blocking up of windows on a proposed boundary), details of these proposed modifications can either be lodged as a separate application with the Council.

Where development authorisation is obtained for such works, which are carried out before the land division application is determined, details can be lodged and assessed as part of the land division application.

Where building modifications are proposed, works may need to be carried out before Council will consent to issue a Certificate of Clearance by the DAC for the creation of titles.



Application process

As the requirements for land division plans are specific, most applications for land divisions are prepared and submitted by licensed surveyors on behalf of an applicant.

The application is lodged with the Development Assessment Commission (DAC) who will notify the surveyor/lodging agent of the DAC number.

The DAC forwards copies of the development application to various state agencies who determine what requirements they may have in respect to the proposal.

Copies of the application are also forwarded to the Council, who as the relevant planning authority will assess the proposed land division against its requirements for the proposed use.

Once all conditions and requirements are met, the state agencies and Council give clearance and the
DAC will issue a Certificate of Approval.

For more information, download: Land division fact sheet

Development Assessment Commission (DAC)

Street address:

Development Assessment Commission (DAC)
5th Floor
136 North Terrace, Adelaide

Postal address:

Development Assessment Commission (DAC)
GPO Box 1815
T: 08 8303 0601
F: 08 8303 0604


Information requirements

The following information is to be lodged with your application:

  • a completed development application form with the relevant fees
  • one copy of the proposed land division plan drafted in accordance with requirements outlined in the Development Regulations
  • one current copy of the Certificate(s) of Title.

Some proposed land divisions may also require the provision of other supporting documentation. For example, a community scheme is required for Community Title land divisions involving non-residential uses of land and larger residential developments.




Council’s Urban Planning & Environment Department

T: 08 8366 4530