Hazardous Waste

Residents have a range of options for dealing with hazardous waste.

Click on a shaded grey box to view disposal options.

Motor and cooking oil

Bring oil in a clean, plastic container with a lid. The original container is perfect.

Drop-off venue What you can drop-off Location & times
Council Works Depot

Motor oil, coolant and oil filters.

30 Davis Road, Glynde
Monday to Friday: 7.30am - 3.30pm

Campbelltown Council, Newton Transfer Station Motor oil and cooking oil. Virginia Road, Newton
Monday to Friday: 8am – 5pm
Saturday & Sunday: 8am – 4pm
Adelaide Statewide Tallow Cooking oil

87-89 Wing Street, Wingfield

T: 0419 854 656

Telephone to check times


Mobile phone, car, boat, motorbike, lead acid. 

Option 1: Drop off at the Council Depot

Option 2: Century Yuasa

Option 3: Australian Battery Recycling Initiative

Option 4: Deliver to the Household Hazardous Waste Depot, corner of Magazine Road and Henschke Street, Dry Creek (open from 9am-12pm on the first Tuesday of each month (including public holidays).

Household, single use.

Option 1: Drop off at the Council Depot

Option 2: Drop off at the Norwood Town Hall or any of our librariesOption 3: Drop off at ALDI or IKEA storesOption 4: E-Cycle Recovery

Option 5: Australian Battery Recycling Initiative

Option 6: General waste bin (red lid).

Nickel metal hydride NiMH, nickel cadmium (rechargeable NiCad) or lithium-ion (laptop batteries).

Option 1: Australian Battery Recycling Initiative

Option 2: Drop off at E-Cycle Recovery.

Paint, varnish, sealants and adhesives

Paint is only hazardous when it is wet. Harden paint by leaving the lid off or adding a paint hardener purchased at a hardware store.

You can dispose of paint, varnish, sealants and adhesives which have solidified in your normal household rubbish.  

Tap the hardened contents out of the tin and place in your general waste (red lid) bin. The clean, dry empty steel tin can be placed in your recycling (yellow lid) bin.

Visit: Zero Waste - Recycle Right Search Engine or call 1300 137 118.

Light globes


Residents can recycle for free their fluorescent, incandescent or halogen light globes at any Mitre 10 or IKEA store.

For more information, including store locations in Glenunga, Glynde and Norwood, visit: Zero Waste or call 1300 137 118.



Commercial quantities of used light globes can be recycled through FluoroCycle. For a list of recyclers near you, visit: FluoroCycle

Illustrations of fluorescent, incandescent and halogen light globes



All chemists will take unwanted medications to dispose of responsibly.

Household hazardous waste - Zero Waste drop-off days

Zero Waste SA runs free drop-off days for household hazardous waste. These events are open to you, regardless of the Council area in which you live.

Zero Waste Depot:
Corner of Magazine Road and Henschke Street
Dry Creek

9am to 12pm on the first Tuesday of every month (including public holidays).

For information on the next drop-off day, visit: Zero Waste - Drop-off Days Timetable