Skip to Content

Justice of the Peace - JP

The City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters Justice of the Peace (JP) service is operated voluntarily by appointed Justices of the Peace.

Please be aware that our JP’s are volunteers and may not be available due to unforeseen circumstances.

This is a free service to the community and no appointment is necessary, however feel free to contact us in advance to confirm a JP is in attendance.


Norwood Town Hall

St Peters Library 

Payneham Library

Citizen Services, 175 The Parade, Norwood
9.00am and 5.00pm

T: 8366 4555

Room 3, 101 Payneham Road, St Peters
10.00am and 12.00pm

T: 8334 0200

Torrens Room, 2 Turner Street, Felixstow
12.00pm and 3.00pm

T: 8336 0333

Frequently asked questions 

What services do JPs provide

A JP acts as an independent and objective witness to documents people use for official or legal purposes. For example, a JP may:

  • certify a true copy of an original document
  • certify a person's identity
  • witness an affidavit for use in court
  • witness a statutory declaration
  • witness the signing of a document.

A JP cannot provide you with any legal advice.

What documents do I need to bring

Depending on what you need, there may be different documents you need to bring, so we suggest you contact the agency or organisation requiring you to get the form witnessed.

Most documents (except certifying copies of documents) require the JP to verify your identity. Please ensure you bring photo identification (drivers’ licence, passport, student card, etc) with you.

Many documents (e.g. police checks) require a 100-point ID check to be made by the JP. Please ensure you read your forms and bring the required documentation with you.

Do not sign any of your documents – you may complete the details required but if the document needs to be witnessed, declared or sworn, the JP must complete what is required and must personally see you sign it.

Can I get my documents photocopied

It is recommended that you organise your photocopying prior to attending. The Customer Service staff may be able to assist with photocopying if they are not serving other customers and you are only requiring a small number of copies.

Can a JP provide legal advice

No. The Justices of the Peace Regulations 2021 states “A justice must not provide legal advice when acting in their capacity as a justice”.

Free legal information and advice can be received from the Legal Services Commission legal help line on 1300 366 424 (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm).

Is a JP the same as a Notary Public

No. This is because the training and experience of a Notary Public is as a Senior Lawyer, capable of giving opinions on matters of law which a JP is not.

A list of South Australian Notaries (by area) can be found on the Notaries Society website.

Can the JPs certify documents in a different language

Some of our JPs speak a second language (other than English, Mandarin, Hindi, Italian), and are available to assist with general enquiries about documents.

JP’s that speak other languages are located at the Norwood Town Hall, please call before you visit to confirm their shifts.

If you cannot read or understand written English, the JP (unless the JP is a certified interpreter) is not able to formally assist with interpreting, certifying or signing legal documents.

For a list of JPs that are certified interpreters, visit: Consumer & Business Services - JP Search and select a language from the drop-down list:

Where else can I see a JP

You can locate a JP in your area by using the Consumer and Business Services Justice of the Peace search. This database allows you to search for a JP by name, suburb they work and/or reside, their contact number and languages other than English they may speak.

Many JPs will make home visits on request. For more information, please contact the Registrar at Royal Association of Justices of SA on 8297 4044 during their office hours (Monday to Thursday from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm).

There are also other local Councils who provide Justice of the Peace services. The closest services include Campbelltown City Council and City of Burnside.

Who else can witness a Statutory Declaration

In addition to JPs, there are other people who can legally witness a Statutory Declaration – e.g. government employees, accountants, religious ministers, medical professionals and bank officers who meet the criteria.

For a full list of authorised witnesses, visit the Attorney-General's Department website.

How to become a JP

To become a JP you must apply online through the Attorney-Generals Department, Justice of the Peace Services. Applicants need to meet the eligibility criteria and provide at least two written references as to your good character, reputation and standing in the community.

Apply Here: Become a JP

Once appointed as a JP you will receive a JP identification number and appointment certificate. Appointed JP’s can then apply to Volunteer in various locations including the City of Norwood, Payneham & St Peters.

Our current Volunteer vacancies can be viewed here: Current Vacancies

If you would like to know more information on what it is like to do the role of a JP, contact Adelaide Eastern Suburbs Justices Group Email:

Provide your feedback

Our Team would love to hear any feedback you have for our Justice of the Peace services. Fill out the short survey online or contact us on, 8366 4555 to speak to the relevant staff member.

Customer Satisfaction Survey