Skip to Content

Apply for a Permit

The Council is responsible for issuing a range of permits to help ensure activities are carried out in a safe and proper way.

Under the Local Government Act 1999 there are a number of activities which require a Council permit.

Application processing times may vary depending on the permit application. For more information, refer to the relevant permit application form.

Apply for a permit

Alteration and use of a public road / footpath (hoarding, skip bins, overhanging signs etc)

An Authorisation will be required from the Council if you wish to make an alteration or install a structure on a public road / footpath, including:

  • skip bins
  • concrete pumps or cranes
  • scaffolding, temporary fencing or structures to protect building sites
  • overhanging business signs
  • termite monitoring stations
  • ground water monitoring wells
  • planter boxes etc.

This Authorisation also covers hoarding – ie where you need to temporarily close a road / footpath to install structures, such as temporary fencing or scaffolding in connection with building works. 


For more information, contact the Public Realm Compliance Officer on 8366 4513.

Bin request services (second bin, bin repair or bin replacement)

East Waste, on behalf of the City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters, provides bin request services.

To apply for a second bin, bin repair or bin replacement, visit: New Bins, Repairs and Skips


Permit for busking or providing public entertainment at selected locations around the City.

Download: Busking Permit Form

Directional Signage Application

To obtain road signs, applicants must demonstrate that they meet the appropriate criteria in City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters Directional Signage Policy

Download: Directional Signage Application

Dog registration

Renewing your dog registration using the new online system

From 1 July 2018, dog registrations are managed online.

Dogs previously registered with the Council have been transferred to Dogs and Cats Online (DACO) – the state-wide database.

To renew or manage your dog registration, visit: Dogs and Cats Online (DACO)

For more information, including fees and rebates, visit: Dog Registration

Driveway crossover & footpath

Permit for property owners / developers who would like to construct a new or modify an existing access driveway/crossover.

Download: Driveway Crossover and Footpath Application Form

Download: Driveway Crossover and Footpath Examples Sheet

Download: Driveway Crossover and Footpath Information Sheet

Commercial filming or photography on Council land (filming permit)

Film producers, movie makers and commercial photographers are all welcome to film or take photos in our beautiful City.

To find out how to apply, visit: Film Friendly City


As of 20 December 2023, the Council is reviewing the Fundraising Permit Procedure in consultation, with relevant stakeholders, and will not be taking any further applications until this consultation is complete.

For further information, please contact Citizen Service on 8366 4555.

Mobile food vendors 

The City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters offers opportunities for Mobile Food Vendors  to trade around the City.

For more information and to apply, visit: Mobile Food Vendors

Outdoor dining

If you want your customers to dine outside on land owned by the Council, you will need an outdoor dining permit.

For more information and to apply, visit: Outdoor Dining


The Council issues two types of parking permits - a resident's permit and a visitor's permit.

Permits are only available to residents living in the Council area.

For more information and to apply, visit: Parking Permits

Park and Reserve hire

Our parks and reserves provide the ideal setting for weddings, birthday parties and corporate events.

To make a booking, please complete the Casual Reserve Hire Application form and return to the Council at least one month prior to your event date.

For more information and to apply, visit: Park and Reserve Hire

Stormwater discharge pipe or electrical connection

Permit for works which include one or more of the following: stormwater connection and underground electrical connection.

Download: Driveway Crossover and Footpath Application Form

Verge gardens

A well-designed and well maintained landscaped verge can improve your property’s kerb appeal, absorb rainwater, improve community pride and increase local biodiversity.

Collectively, the more vegetation (and less hard surfaces) in an area, the cooler that temperatures will be in hot summer weather.

For more information and to apply for a permit, visit: Verge Gardens