Category: Parks, playgrounds and reserves
Felixstow Reserve is one of the most significant pieces of open space in Adelaide’s eastern region and is the result of collaboration and partnership between Local, State and Federal Governments and the Kaurna people.
Felixstow Reserve was officially re-opened on 10 February 2019 following a $3.8 million transformation, creating a cutting edge and multipurpose open space.
Featuring recreational facilities, sports and fitness equipment, Felixstow Reserve is ideal for family and friends to get together, with BBQ facilities, toilets and shady areas creating ideal locations for picnics.
Felixstow Reserve also incorporates an innovative dual-purpose wetland which functions as a stormwater harvesting system, efficiently collecting, treating and storing stormwater to be used for irrigation purposes across the eastern region of Adelaide. Importantly, the wetlands also provide habitat for a variety of wildlife.
Felixstow Reserve is located in an area of high cultural and spiritual significance for the Kaurna people of the Adelaide Plains and the Council collaborated closely with the Kaurna people during the redevelopment.
The Felixstow Reserve Redevelopment Project is a prime example of collaboration between the Kaurna people and Local, State and Federal Government.
The project was funded by the Council, South Australian Government and Australian Federal Government.
The multi-award winning Felixstow Reserve Redevelopment Project has received eleven awards.
- 2019 Australian Institute of Landscape Architecture (AILA) Awards - Landscape Architecture Award, Parks and Open Space
- 2019 Australian Institute of Landscape Architecture (AILA) South Australia Awards - Excellence in Cultural Heritage
- 2019 Australian Institute of Landscape Architecture (AILA) South Australia Awards - Healthy Parks Healthy People South Australia Award
- 2019 Australian Institute of Landscape Architecture (AILA) Awards - National Landscape Architecture Award, Parks and Open Space Award
- 2019 IES The Lighting Society - Award of Commendation, Lighting Design
- 2019 Australian Civic Trust - People’s Choice Award, Urban Category
- 2019 Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) - Award for Excellence in Public Engagement and
- 2019 Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) - Award of Commendation, Best Planning Ideas – Large
- 2019 Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) - Award of Commendation, Great Place
- 2019 Master Landscapers of SA - Most Environmentally Sensitive Project
- 2019 Master Landscapers of SA - Landscape Maintenance Commercial
In 2015, the Council undertook a Masterplan for Felixstow Reserve which incorporated two stages for the redevelopment of the site.
The first stage of the project was the establishment of wetlands within the Felixstow Reserve, which were completed in late 2017. This project was undertaken as part of the Eastern Region Alliance (ERA) Waterproofing Eastern Adelaide Stormwater Harvesting and Re-Use Project.
Construction of the second stage, the remainder of the Felixstow Reserve, was completed in December 2018 and was undertaken by LCS Landscapes.
The detailed design of the Redevelopment was prepared by a multi-disciplinary design team led by ASPECT Studios, who translated the Masterplan ideas into detail designs, including large open grassed areas, an active play space, natural play, walking trails, a shared path and increased tree planting.