Electronic Waste (e-waste)
Reusing and recycling electronic waste (e-waste) preserves our natural resources, decreases environmental pollution and creates jobs.
Since September 2013, electronic waste (e-waste) has been banned from direct landfill disposal across all of South Australia under the under the Environment Protection (Waste to Resources) Policy 2010. Fines may apply if items are placed in household bins for collection, transport and disposal at a landfill depot.
What is e-waste?
Electronic waste (e-waste) refers to electronic products that are unwanted, not working/broken or obsolete, and have essentially reached the end of their useful life.
E-waste items include:
- TVs, VCR/DVD/CD players, stereos, computers, laptops, printers, faxes, irons, microwaves, cameras, copiers, hair dryers, toasters, phones, vacuum cleaners etc.
- battery operated items such as torches, cameras, power tools etc.
E-waste disposal options
Do not dispose of e-waste in household bins. E-waste can contain hazardous materials including heavy metals and glass which pose an unacceptable environmental hazard if crushed in waste collection trucks.
Unwanted e-waste needs to be taken to a suitable e-waste recycling facility for dismantling and re-manufacturing.
There are numerous recycling sites where e-waste can be dropped off around Adelaide, usually free of charge. For free drop off options, please refer to the list below.
Please note: East Waste no longer collect e-waste.
Free recycling drop off locations
- Campbelltown Council Works Depot: 6 Newton Road, Campbelltown (TV & computer items only)
- Rotary Club, St Peters: 46 Henry Street, Stepney (small items)
- Officeworks, Trinity Gardens: 210-212 Portrush Road, Trinity Gardens ((Computer items, mobile phones and batteries)
- Officeworks, Prospect: 87-93 Main North Road, Prospect, (Computer items, mobile phones and batteries)
- The Good Guys, Hectorville: 60 Glynburn Rd, Hectorville (TV & Computers only)
- Harvey Norman Warehouse: 6/9 William Street, Mile End (TV and Computer items only)
- Complete Electronic Services: 660 South Road, Glandore (All electronic items accepted, except fridges and freezers)
- Bunnings, Adelaide Airport: James Schofield Dr, Adelaide Airport (Small to medium items. NO batteries or Whitegoods)
Donation locations and options
For Mobile phone and household battery recycling options, visit: Hazardous Waste Disposal
For more information about recycling, visit: East Waste