There are many opportunities in vibrant, urban areas such as our City, to reduce dependence on motor travel and embrace other forms of sustainable transport.
The transport sector is one of the most significant contributors to greenhouse gas emissions, as emissions from transport are increasing at a faster rate than any other energy-use sector.
Sustainable transport refers to any means of transport which has a low impact on the environment. This includes non-motorised forms of transport such as walking, cycling or mass transit public transport.
Sustainable transport has multiple objectives, including:
- reduction in harmful air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions
- reduced demand for fossil fuels
- safer and more attractive streets and living environments
- healthier living through more active lifestyles.
Sustainable transport systems make a positive contribution to the environmental, social and economic sustainability of the communities they serve.
Find out more:
In this section:
- Our Services
- Waste & Recycling
- Make a Payment
- Apply for a Permit
- Online Services Listing
- Major Projects
- Venues & Facilities
- Community Care Services
- Justice of the Peace (JP) Timetable
- Pets, Pests & Animals
- Public Health & Safety
- Parking, Vehicles & Transport
- Roads, Footpaths & Verges